Five Common Myths About Botox®
Primarily used as a cosmetic treatment, Botox® near me in Lincoln, NE, has been used to treat lines and wrinkles on the face. But, the botulinum toxin derivative, actually has a lengthy history of approved therapeutic medical uses despite all the common myths that have been circulating.
Due to its minimally invasive nature, the uses in dentistry have greatly expanded to help treat dental conditions such as high lip lines, TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint Disorder), teeth grinding (Bruxism), ill-fitting dentures from shifting jaw muscles, and more.
In our article, we’ll debunk the following commonly heard myths:
1. Do Botox® injections lead to a “frozen” face?
2. Is Botox® only effective for removing lines?
3. Botox® injections hurt?
4. If you stop receiving Botox®, will wrinkles worsen?
5. Botox® treatments harmful?
Gaining Popularity With The Use of Botox® in Dentistry
Botox®, at one point, was only approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) for specific procedures: involuntary tight closure of the eyelids and strabismus, which is an abnormal alignment of the eyes and blepharospasm.
Intrigued, the medical community continued to research Botox®; thus, bringing about numerous advancements. There are eight different forms of the botulinum toxin, which have all been tested and researched continuously and have shown promising results within the dental community.
Because these injections are minimally invasive, they have become an excellent tool for various dental treatments. It has been shown to help with the management of muscle generated dental diseases such as teeth grinding (bruxism), masseter hypertrophy (enlargement of jaw muscles), clenching, TMJ (temporomandibular disorders). In addition, it has been used to treat aesthetic or functional dental conditions such as nasolabial folds (smile lines), high lip lines, black triangles between teeth, and radial lip lines.
Botox® in Lincoln, NE can be used by dentists who are adequately trained for the following:
- Patients who have a high lip line can benefit from Botox®, which can help relax lip muscles, giving the patient a more aesthetically-pleasing smile line. This has become a popular option because the process in its entirety is not extremely invasive and offers more immediate treatment.
- To help Patients with TMJ, Temporomandibular Joint Disorder. TMJ disorders have been known to cause severe pain due to “hyperactivity of the muscles,” and, in the past, treatment options were limited. Now, however, Botox® can aid in relaxing these muscles. Having your dental professional provide this services offers effective and quick pain relief.
- For Edentulous patients (those with no teeth) – it has been shown that they have benefited from Botox® treatment, especially in cases where lip muscles have become repositioned due to a decrease in dimension, vertically. Dentures don’t always fit well, and in these situations, injections can help relax and retrain muscles around new dentures, thus making the transition more successful.
- The use of Botox® for bruxism, also known as teeth grinding, can help minimize the force of muscular contractions. Injections together, along with the use of a nightguard, can make for effective treatment against teeth grinding.
Botox® injections offer a relatively quick solution to many long-term problems both cosmetically and dentally.
Commonly Heard Myths About Botox®
Despite the prevalence of Botox® over the past few years, there are still many misconceptions. Here are some common myths surrounding these injections:
- Myth #1: Botox® injections can lead to a “frozen face.” Many believe injections will make them lose their ability to make facial expressions. Not true. Botox® treatment relaxes muscles directly at the injection point. As long as you receive treatment from someone who performs skilled injections, you should not experience any loss of facial expressions.
- Myth #2: Botox® is only effective when removing lines. In short, Botox® has many more uses than removing lines or eliminating facial wrinkles. In addition to the dental and eye benefits, there are many additional medical uses. Other medical uses include treating TMJ, neck and back pain, hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating), and migraine treatment.
- Myth #3: Botox® injections hurt. Using the term “injection” can instill fear in many, but with Botox®, patients have compared the injection to a slight pinch-if they feel anything. To keep patients comfortable during administration, a topical anesthetic can be used. No additional anesthetic is necessary, and the pain levels are incredibly minimal.
- Myth #4: If you stop receiving Botox®, wrinkles will worsen. It has been a common misconception that their wrinkles will worsen once a person starts treatment and then stops. Botox® does not exacerbate wrinkle formation. Instead, wrinkles will return to their initial look and appear as they did before injections.
- Myth #5: Botox® treatments are harmful. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) would not approve something dangerous or toxic. These particular injections have more than 20 years of use for several conditions. In addition, Botox® has a well-established history of being completely safe. If you’re still concerned, consider this: you would need more than 100 times the average cosmetic Botox® dose to be toxic.
How to Find a Dentist Near Me that is Trained in Botox®
According to the JIOH (Journal of International Oral Health), Botox® is now correcting many dental conditions. It is entirely acceptable if trained dental professionals use these injections as part of a comprehensive dental treatment plan within the “dental scope of practice” versus a stand-alone procedure.
Dental professionals must have received education and training before administering any Botox® injections. Regulations for dentists and dental hygienists vary from state to state — state licensing boards must be consulted before any administration to adhere to state regulations and laws.
To find a dentist that does “Botox® near me,” you can ask friends, family, or coworkers for references or use Google. Search for the term “Botox dentist near me in Lincoln, NE” or “Lincoln, NE dental clinic that offers Botox®.” Dentists that offer this particular service will make it known.
If you have a specific dental clinic in mind but aren’t entirely sure if they offer this service, call and ask. This method will not only allow you to find out if a particular dentist offers this service, but it could also help you gauge just how friendly the team is and whether or not the clinic would be a good fit for you.
Because dentists are already extraordinarily knowledgeable and well-equipped to handle procedures riskier than Botox®, this treatment is an excellent addition to dental practices to ensure they can meet patient needs.
Globally, Botox® is the treatment of choice for retaining a vibrant, youthful appearance and has primarily been administered by dermatologists and plastic surgeons. That, however, has changed because state dental boards increasingly support dentists offering Botox®. Currently, Botox® is an alternative option and a great option when other treatments have not provided results. Dentists across the country have sought training and are incorporating these injections into their practices.
When you ask yourself whether or not Botox® is for you, know that it has been proven an extremely safe and effective treatment for so many different conditions. So, ask your Lincoln, NE dentist if Botox® is right for you!
Dr. Lauren Albin wrote this article. This cosmetic dentist in Lincoln, NE, says:
“I strive to make you feel comfortable and will communicate what is happening along the way. I want my patients to be on board with their overall health! I want them to know so they can impact their friends and family. “
You can schedule with this Lincoln, NE dentist 24/7 using online scheduling at her South Lincoln Location of Nebraska Family Dentistry. This Lincoln, NE dentist serves the local communities in Roca, Eagle, Bennet, Hickman, Panama, Walton, and many more.
Looking for Dental Payment Plans
or Apply Online
(Click logo above to be directed to website)
Make easy, affordable payments for your procedure with the Dental Payment Plans we offer.
We have 7 Locations in Lincoln, NE!
- Lincoln Family Dentistry – Central Lincoln
- South Lincoln Family Dentistry – South Lincoln
- Northeast Lincoln Family Dentistry – Northeast Lincoln
- Preserve Family Dentistry – East Lincoln
- Coddington Dental – West Lincoln
- NorthStar Dental – North Lincoln
- SouthPointe Dental – Southwest Lincoln
- Emergency Dentist NE – Emergency Dental Care
- Lincoln Dental Plans – Affordable Dental Options